An injury to the cushioning structure between the vertebrae of the spine (most typically occurs in the neck or low back areas)
Signs and Symptoms:
- Sudden onset of neck or low back pain usually during or following an activity that involves bending and twisting, such as gardening or picking up a heavy object with poor lifting technique.
- At time of the initial injury or after prolonged bent posture may experience a “stuck” feeling that eases with time
- In some cases a patient may have pain that radiates down the arms (in the case of a neck injury) or down the legs (in the case of a back injury)
- Pain with coughing or sneezing
- May have numbness and tingling down the arms or legs
- May experience weakness in the affected extremity